History of the town: Poble Nou de Benitachell
Since the Palaeolithic there have been settlers in this locality. Already in antiquity they appreciated the fertile lands, the underground waters and elevations from where to control the territory and admire its beauty. There are archaeological remains from the Bronze Age and the Iberian period. Wine was produced here during the Roman Empire, and the Arab culture records the village name as Benitagell. The five stars of the current coat of arms of Benitachell (spelt Benitatxell in Valencian language) indicate that it belonged to the Marquis of Denia until the end of the 17th century, when the destroyed old town is distinguished from the new part, known since then as the New Town of Benitachell (Poble Nou de Benitachell). Also during the 17th century, Christian communities arrived from the Balearic Islands and Catalonia. The Church of Santa María Magdalena
dates from 1710, and the remodeled building still crowns the highest part of the village, as is seen in nearby towns such as Altea.